Records and Classification of Students

Change of Name

A student’s name on official records at UTSA is the name under which the student applied for admission, unless a Name and ID Number Change Form has been processed through the Office of the Registrar. The official University transcript will carry the current name and the most immediate previous name, if any. Name and ID Number Change Forms should be supported by appropriate legal documentation.

Change of Address

Currently enrolled students who have changed their addresses must change their mailing address with the University by accessing myUTSA and following the instructions. Official notification of change of address is necessary for proper identification of student records and for accurate mailing of correspondence and information pertaining to graduation requirements. Students who are applying for graduation will specify on the Application for Graduation the address where their diploma is to be mailed. This does not change the official mailing address with the University.

Verification of Enrollment and Degree

UTSA student enrollment and degree verifications are reported by the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC). For students on financial aid this means that UTSA electronically submits enrollment verification statuses to the NSC at several key periods during the semester to keep their enrollment status up to date with loan guarantors, services, or lenders. The NSC also provides enrollment status and deferment information to the Department of Education’s National Student Loan Data System. This service provides for more efficient processing of enrollment information for financial aid loans.

The NSC also provides enrollment and degree verification for nonlending institutions, such as travel agencies, health care companies, and prospective employers. Students who do not want to have their directory information, such as enrollment and degree status, verified in this manner should contact the Office of the Registrar to request that this information be kept confidential.

Students have the ability to request their own enrollment certificate for a health insurer or other company that requires proof of enrollment. This is done through myUTSA by selecting the Student Services tab after log in.

Release of Academic Records

All official certifications with regard to the academic performance or status of a student or former student of UTSA are made by the Office of the Registrar. A Letter of Degree Completion may be provided by a student’s assigned academic advisor.

UTSA transcripts and other information from a student’s academic record are released by the Office of the Registrar only upon written request from the student or other person authorized by law under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974. Exceptions may be made in response to a subpoena or court order, under other circumstances as allowed under FERPA, or as provided in the policy on releasing directory information set forth in Administrative Policies and Procedures of this bulletin.

Classification of Terms

Undergraduate students are classified according to the following table:

Classification Terms Number of Semester Credit Hours Earned
Lower-division Freshman 0 to 29
Lower-division Sophomore 30 to 59
Upper-division Junior 60 to 89
Upper-division Senior 90 or more

Time Status Terms

Undergraduate Time Status

Undergraduate Time Status Number of Credit Hours Enrolled Per Fall, Spring, or Entire Summer Semester
Full time 12 or more semester credit hours
Three-quarter time 9 to 11 semester credit hours
Half time 6 to 8 semester credit hours
Less-than-half time Fewer than 6 semester credit hours

Although undergraduates enrolled in 12 or more semester credit hours in a fall, spring, or entire summer semester are considered full time students, in order for students to meet UTSA’s expectation of a timely graduation, the university expects its undergraduates to routinely enroll in at least 15 semester credit hours each fall and spring semester of enrollment, and to earn at least 30 semester credit hours each academic year.

Graduate Time Status

Graduate Time Status Number of Credit Hours Enrolled Fall/Spring Number of Credit Hours Enrolled Summer
Full time Nine or more semester credit hours Five or more semester credit hours
Three-quarter time Six to eight semester credit hours Not applicable
Half time Four to five semester credit hours Three to four semester credit hours
Less than half time Fewer than four semester credit hours One to two semester credit hours


Official transcripts of all coursework taken at UTSA must be requested online through Parchment, Inc. Transcripts are no longer printed on campus. Instructions on how to order official transcripts may be found on the One Stop Enrollment website

While enrolled at UTSA, both undergraduate and graduate students who attend other colleges or universities are required to submit official academic transcripts to UTSA from every college or university attended at the end of the semester during which coursework was undertaken, even if courses have been withdrawn. Undergraduate students must submit their official transcripts to the Office of Admissions and graduate students are required to submit their official academic transcripts to the Graduate School. This includes concurrent enrollment while attending UTSA. Failure to do so may result in the rejection of the transcript request, cancellation of enrollment, permanent dismissal from UTSA, or other appropriate disciplinary action. Transcripts from other institutions submitted to UTSA become the property of the University and are not reproduced or mailed to other institutions, agencies, or individuals as an official transcript.

Official transcripts will not be issued for students who have a financial obligation or other commitment outstanding to the University until the obligation is cleared.

Reverse Transfer

Undergraduate students who transfer to UTSA from a Community College in Texas are able to complete their associate degree requirements at UTSA. Credits a student earns working toward a bachelor's degree at UTSA are sent back to a community college to fulfill requirements for an associate's degree.

All undergraduate students are given the opportunity to participate in reverse transfer agreements between community colleges and senior colleges in Texas when they apply or re-apply for admission as freshmen or as transfer students to UTSA. They may be asked to renew their interest to comply with FERPA guidelines for issuing transcripts to a community college. This is dependent on the time that may elapse from the indication of initial interest to when the required 30 hours earned at the junior college and the additional hours completed at the senior college total 66 required for the awarding of the associate's degree.

The Reverse Transfer agreement allows undergraduate students to reverse transfer by combining their community college and university credits to receive an associate's degree even after they have transferred to a four year university.

To be eligible, undergraduate students enrolled at a university must meet the following criteria:

  • Transferred to the university in Fall 2011 or a subsequent semester
  • Transferred from or previously attended a lower-division institution of higher education (a community college or junior college)
  • Earned at least 30 credit hours for coursework successfully completed at the lower division institution of higher education
  • The 30 credit hours must have been earned at a single lower division institution of higher education
  • Has earned a cumulative total of at least 66 credit hours for coursework
  • Students may log in to myUTSA in order to grant UTSA permission to send their UTSA transcript to the lower division institution they previously attended

Catalog of Graduation

Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate students have six years from their semester of initial registration to complete a degree program under the catalog in effect when they initially registered. An undergraduate student may choose a subsequent catalog under which to complete graduation requirements, provided the student completed at least one course during a semester in which the selected catalog was in effect with a letter grade other than “W,” “NR,” or “F.” The student must complete all degree requirements under the subsequent catalog.

Choosing a new catalog begins a new four-year time limit. Undergraduate students who graduate under one catalog and begin a second degree must begin the new degree under the catalog in effect at that time with a four-year time limit to complete the second degree under that catalog. A student must have an approved catalog at the time an application for graduation is filed.  All continuing students requesting a catalog change must do so through their assigned advisor.

Graduate Students

Master's students have six years from their term of initial registration to complete a graduate degree program under the catalog in effect at the time of initial registration at UTSA, provided they are continuously enrolled at UTSA. Doctoral students have a time to degree completion of eight years comprised of six years from admission to candidacy and two years for dissertation. In the event that certain required courses are discontinued, substitutions may be authorized or required by the appropriate Graduate Program Committee.

Degree requirements may change from one catalog to the next. Graduate students are normally bound by the requirements of the catalog in force at the time of his or her first registration; the student may choose, however, to fulfill the requirements of a subsequent catalog, with approval of the Graduate School.

Change of Major, Degree, or Classification

Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate students requesting to change majors or programs of study must do so through their assigned academic advisor. The change is not official until the advisor reviews and approves the request, preferably with the student, and makes the change in the Student Information System. Changes of major are effective immediately. An undergraduate student may declare up to two majors.

Some majors have specific requirements for admission to their programs. Students should consult their academic advisor for additional information before changing majors.

Students may voluntarily change their program of study, which includes majors, minors, concentrations, degree type, and so forth, up to the completion of 75 semester credit hours earned (not including dual credit, Advanced Placement (AP) credit, or other college credits earned while in high school). After earning 75 or more semester credit hours of college-level work, students may make changes to their program of study only with the approval of their assigned academic advisor and only if the changes will not delay graduation by adding additional hours or semesters to those already needed under the current program of study. For any changes in the program of study not approved by the academic advisor, students may appeal through the academic advisor to the appropriate dean.

Students may submit classification changes to their status as degree-seeking to non-degree-seeking at the Enrollment Services Center. The classification change form is available on the One Stop Enrollment website. These changes, if approved by the Office of the Registrar, will be effective immediately up to Census Date.

Non-degree-seeking students desiring to be regular degree-seeking students must reapply for admission and meet the same admission requirements as those listed for transfer students. Applications must be submitted in accordance with the application dates stated in UTSA Student Policies. Students wishing to change status from degree-seeking to non-degree-seeking will not have previous college transfer credit posted to the UTSA academic transcript, will not be eligible for financial aid, and do not have priority registration.

Graduate Students

Students who wish to change their majors, degree objectives, or classifications, are required to submit a new Graduate School application along with a nonrefundable application fee by the application deadline and follow the policy as specified in the Graduate Admissions policies.