Residence Regulations

A student’s residency classification is based on residency information completed by the student on the admission application. State residency requirements are complex and must be considered on a case-by-case basis. Students are responsible for registering under the proper residency classification and for providing documentation as requested.

Under state statutes and Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) rules interpreting them, a student or prospective student is either classified as a resident of Texas, a nonresident, or a foreign student. A person who has lived in the state under circumstances specified in the Coordinating Board rules is eligible for classification as a Texas resident. A citizen, a national, or a permanent resident of the United States who does not meet resident criteria is classified as a nonresident. An alien who is not a permanent resident of the United States and has not been permitted by Congress to adopt the United States as domicile while in this country is classified as a foreign student. A nonresident or a foreign student may qualify, under certain exceptions specified in the rules, for resident tuition rates and other charges, while he or she continues to be classified as a nonresident or a foreign student. Information about the Coordinating Board’s rules on residency is published on the THECB website.

A student may request reclassification based on additional or changed information. Students who are classified as nonresidents but feel they have satisfied the residence requirements may submit the required Core Residency Questionnaire, supporting documentation, and proof of citizenship. Furthermore, a non-citizen who is eligible for a residency classification change based on Texas Education Code § 54.055, will be required to complete and submit the notarized I-485 adjustment for permanent residence affidavit.

A student entering the University for the first time, or reentering after an absence of more than one semester, should carefully review the Coordinating Board rules in order to be prepared to pay the required tuition. Information and advice on residency status is available from the Office of the Registrar, via phone at (210) 458-7070, or email at Information about establishing residency may also be found on the One Stop Enrollment website.

See Tuition, Fees, and Charges Exemptions section for additional exemptions from tuition, fees, and charges. For further information on these exemptions, contact the Fiscal Services Office.