Credit for Military Service

An institution of higher education shall award to an undergraduate student who is admitted to the institution, including a student who is readmitted after withdrawing to perform active military service (Texas Education Code, Section 51.9242), course credit for all physical education courses required by the institution for an undergraduate degree and for additional semester credit hours, not to exceed 12, that may be applied to satisfy any elective course requirements for the student’s degree program for courses outside the student’s major or minor if the student:

  1. Graduated from a public or private high school accredited by a generally recognized accrediting organization or from a high school operated by the United States Department of Defense
  2. Is an honorably discharged former member of the armed forces of the United States who has completed at least two years of service in the armed forces or was discharged because of a disability

Veterans entering UTSA as undergraduate students should meet with an academic advisor to discuss military service credit options, as elective credits may affect eligibility for the tuition rebate program and the Texas B-On-Time Loan forgiveness program or result in additional tuition for excess credit hours. Students must provide proof of eligibility (i.e., DD Form 214 or disability discharge documentation) to the academic advisor and complete the Military Service Credit Notice with the academic advisor. The Military Service Credit Notice is available on the One Stop Enrollment website and in the UTSA Veterans Certification Office in the John Peace Library (JPL) Building, room 1.01.14.