Records and Classification of Students

Classification Terms

Graduate Degree-Seeking Student. A student who is admitted to a graduate degree program, unconditionally, conditionally, or conditionally on academic probation.

Special Graduate Student. A student who is admitted to UTSA for the purpose of enrolling in graduate and/or undergraduate courses in one or more colleges of the University without entering a degree program.

Non-Degree-Seeking Graduate Student. A student who registers for courses but does not intend to work toward a degree at UTSA.

Note: A graduate student who wishes to work on a program to meet the requirements for teacher certification or for a certificate endorsement must be admitted as a graduate degree-seeking student or special graduate student (not a special undergraduate student). He or she must apply to the College of Education and Human Development Advising and Certification Center for an official analysis of the requirements that must be met before he or she can be recommended for certification.

Time Status Terms

Graduate Time Status Number of Credit Hours Enrolled Fall/Spring Number of Credit Hours Enrolled Summer
Full time Nine or more semester credit hours Five or more semester credit hours
Three-quarter time Six to eight semester credit hours Not applicable
Half time Four to five semester credit hours Three to four semester credit hours
Less than half time Fewer than four semester credit hours One to two semester credit hours

Verification of Enrollment and Degree

UTSA student enrollment and degree verifications are reported by the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC). For students on financial aid this means that UTSA electronically submits enrollment verification statuses to the NSC at several key periods during the semester to keep their enrollment status up to date with loan guarantors, services, or lenders. The NSC also provides enrollment status and deferment information to the Department of Education’s National Student Loan Data System. This service provides for more efficient processing of enrollment information for financial aid loans.

The NSC also provides enrollment and degree verification for nonlending institutions, such as travel agencies, health care companies, and prospective employers. Students who do not want to have their directory information, such as enrollment and degree status, verified in this manner should contact the Office of the Registrar to request that this information be kept confidential.

Students have the ability to request their own enrollment certificate for a health insurer or other company that requires proof of enrollment. This is done through ASAP by selecting the Student Services tab after log in.


Official transcripts of all coursework taken at UTSA may be requested at the One Stop Enrollment Center or online through ASAP. See the UTSA website at for details on how to request a transcript.

While enrolled at UTSA, students who attend other colleges or universities are required to submit official academic transcripts to Graduate Admissions from every college or university attended at the end of the semester during which coursework was undertaken, even if courses have been withdrawn. This includes concurrent enrollment while attending UTSA. Failure to do so may result in the rejection of the transcript request, cancellation of enrollment, permanent dismissal from UTSA, or other appropriate disciplinary action. Transcripts from other institutions submitted to UTSA become the property of the University and are not reproduced or mailed to other institutions, agencies, or individuals as an official transcript.

Official transcripts will not be issued for students who have a financial obligation or other commitment outstanding to the University until the obligation is cleared.

Release of Academic Records

All official certifications with regard to the academic performance or status of a student or former student of UTSA are made by the Office of the Registrar.

UTSA transcripts and other information from a student’s academic record are released by the Office of the Registrar only upon written request from the student or other person authorized by law under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974. Exceptions may be made in response to a subpoena or court order, under other circumstances as allowed under FERPA, or as provided in the policy on releasing directory information set forth in Chapter 5, Administrative Policies and Procedures, of the UTSA Information Bulletin.

Catalog of Graduation

Graduate students have six years from their term of original registration as degree seeking to complete a graduate degree program under the catalog in effect at the time of initial registration at UTSA, provided they are continuously enrolled at UTSA. If a student drops out for one or more long semester (Spring or Fall), he or she has the option of reenrolling under a subsequent catalog. These students will have six years to complete degree requirements under the new catalog. In the event that certain required courses are discontinued, substitutions may be authorized or required by the appropriate Graduate Program Committee.

Degree requirements may be changed from one catalog to the next. The student is normally bound by the requirements of the catalog in force at the time of his or her first registration; the student may choose, however, to fulfill the requirements of a subsequent catalog, with approval of the Graduate School.

Change of Major, Degree, or Classification

Students who wish to change their majors, degree objectives, or classifications are required to submit a new Graduate School application along with a nonrefundable application fee by the application deadline and follow the policy as specified in Chapter 1, Admission, of the UTSA Graduate Catalog.

Change of Name

A student’s name on official records at UTSA is the name under which the student applied for admission, unless a Name and ID Number Change Form has been processed through the Office of the Registrar. The official University transcript will carry the current name and the most immediate previous name, if any. Name and ID Number Change Forms should be supported by appropriate legal documentation.

Change of Address

Currently enrolled students who have changed their address must notify the Graduate School on the appropriate form or on the UTSA website in ASAP at Official notification of change of address is necessary for proper identification of student records and for accurate mailing of correspondence and information pertaining to graduation requirements. Students who are applying for graduation will specify on the Application for Graduation the address where their diploma is to be mailed. This does not change the official mailing address with the University.