Change of Grades

Individual faculty members retain primary responsibility for assigning grades and evaluations. The faculty member’s judgment is final unless compelling evidence shows discrimination, differential treatment, or a factual mistake. Under unusual circumstances, however, grades may be assigned or changed by someone other than the faculty member. Grades may be changed or assigned through administrative channels in the following procedure:

  1. Circumstances when an assigned grade of “A+,” “A,” “A-,” “B+,” “B,” “B-,” “C+,” “C,” “C-,” “D+,” “D,” “D-,” or “F” might be changed. In this case, the formal appeals process stated in the catalog must be initiated by the student. Because a grade change of this type is related directly to issues of academic freedom, a committee composed of qualified faculty should be appointed by the appropriate Graduate Program Committee to assess the academic merits of the appeal. The committee report should weigh heavily in the subsequent administrative review by the Department Chair, College Dean, and Graduate School Dean. Grades may be changed only if compelling evidence demonstrates discrimination, differential treatment, or factual mistake.
  2. Circumstances when an assigned grade of “IN” or “NC” might be changed. Under unusual circumstances, a faculty member of record may be unable to assign grades in a timely manner. Examples include death or incapacitation of a faculty member; a faculty member who permanently leaves the University and refuses or fails to respond; and a faculty member who is on leave and cannot be reached.

Additional work performed by a student may not be used to raise a grade that has been reported to the Office of the Registrar.

In no circumstances will grades be changed after one calendar year.