E. Student Grievances

UTSA students may need to pursue questions or concerns involving academic or nonacademic aspects of student life. The Student Ombudsperson assists students who are encountering challenges within the campus community by listening to concerns, providing and clarifying information, identifying and evaluating options, acting as a facilitator or mediator, serving as a referral agent, and making recommendations for change to enhance the mission of the University.

The Student Ombudsperson provides assistance to students in a welcoming and safe environment and communicates with various representatives and offices to respond to and help resolve concerns in a timely and impartial manner. To contact the Student Ombudsperson, visit their webpage for more information. 

The Academic Affairs Ombudsperson provides informal and neutral support to student employees. The Academic Affairs Ombudsperson provides a safe and welcoming space to listen to concerns or challenges student employees may have and helps the visitor evaluate and develop options that lead to a resolution in a timely manner. The Ombudsperson serves as a referral agent making recommendations for change to enhance the mission of the University. 

To contact the Academic Affairs Ombudsperson, visit their webpage for more information.  

General Grievance Procedures

A student grievance may involve a UTSA employee (faculty, staff or student-employee) or other students. A student with a grievance involving a University employee should first seek to resolve the issue with the employee. If the matter cannot be resolved with the employee, the grievance can be forwarded to the employee’s supervisor.

A student who believes another student has violated the Student Code of Conduct may file a complaint with the Student Conduct and Community Standards.

In conflict situations that do not require a criminal or student conduct response, or have not been resolved through regular grievance channels, it is recommended that students pursue resolution of their conflict with the Student Ombudsperson  or with the Academic Affairs Ombudsperson for academic affairs employee related matters.

Students who believe they have been discriminated against or harassed based upon a protected class and students who are victims of sexual harassment, sexual violence or intimate partner violence can file a complaint with the Equal Opportunity Services office

Academic and Grade Grievance Procedure

In resolving any student grievance regarding grades, evaluations or other academically-related concern or incident regarding a faculty member, the student must first make a serious effort to resolve the matter with the faculty member with whom the grievance originated. It is University policy that individual faculty members retain primary responsibility for assigning grades and evaluations. The faculty member’s judgment regarding grades and evaluations is final unless compelling evidence shows discrimination, differential treatment, factual mistake, or violation of a relevant University policy. In resolving a student grievance regarding other academically-related issues involving a faculty member, the student must follow the same process as used when grieving a grade or evaluation. If the matter is not resolved, the student may file a formal grievance, in writing, with the Department Chair (Academic and Grade Grievance Form). The student must file the grievance with the Department Chair within 90 calendar days from the end of the semester in which the grade was assigned or the other concern or incident occurred. 

The Department Chair will communicate his or her decision to the student and forward a copy to the Dean of the College. The student may appeal the decision to the Dean of the College and then, if an undergraduate student, to the Dean of University College, and if a graduate student, to the Dean of the Graduate School. Appeals to the next higher level must be submitted on the Student Academic and Grade Grievance Form and submitted within thirty (30) calendar days of the decision of the previous administrative level. The decisions of the Deans of University College and the Graduate School are final. The administrator handling the appeal at each level will notify individuals involved, including those who have already ruled on the appeal, once a decision has been rendered.

For an allegation of discrimination or if a grade appeal contains an allegation of discrimination, the faculty member or Department Chair must notify the student to contact the Equal Opportunity Services (EOS) office and the administrator must also contact EOS to report the student’s claim. The student may simultaneously file a discrimination complaint with the EOS office. If there is a foundation for the discrimination complaint, EOS will notify the appropriate administrator to place the academic and grade grievance on hold until an investigation has been completed. Once the investigation has been completed, EOS will notify the student and the administrator of the outcome. Based upon the outcome, the academic and grade grievance review process will continue or be closed.

Under no circumstances will grades be changed after one calendar year.

Counseling Services

Counseling Services provides confidential, professional services by staff psychologists, social workers, counselors and psychiatrists to help meet the personal and developmental needs of currently enrolled students. Counseling Services has offices at both the Downtown and Main campuses. Most services are free and all services are confidential. Our counseling center is accredited by The International Association of Counseling Services (IACS).

The transitions and stresses of university life affect all students to different degrees. Students coping with these challenging issues may, at times, need the assistance of a qualified professional. The counseling process helps students resolve personal concerns and acquire the skills, knowledge, and abilities that will enable them to succeed throughout their college experience. Additionally, Counseling Services staff members provide consultation services to faculty and staff who may need support or training in approaching students with mental health concerns.

Counseling Services provides individual brief therapy for personal and educational concerns and group therapy for interpersonal relationship concerns, sexual and gender diversity, skills building and general support. Counseling Services also screens for possible learning disabilities (for a nominal fee) and has limited psychiatric services. Visit the Counseling Services website or call 210-458‑4140 to initiate services. A crisis helpline is available after-hours, weekends and holidays by calling 210-458-4140, option 3.