Withdrawal from the University

Continuing students who wish to withdraw (drop all courses for which they are enrolled during a specific semester) from the University before the first class day of the Fall or Spring Semester may do so via ASAP. Students who wish to withdraw from the University before the start of Summer classes may withdraw via ASAP through the Friday prior to the start of the ten-week Summer term. All other Summer withdrawals must be completed as stated in the following paragraph.

Students who find it necessary to withdraw (drop all courses for which they are enrolled during a specific term) must submit a completed Withdrawal Form at the One Stop Enrollment Center. The Withdrawal Form must have all required signatures for the withdrawal to be processed. The Withdrawal Form is available online on the One Stop Enrollment website.

Students may not withdraw from the University later than the third class day preceding final examinations in the Spring and Fall Semesters. Students who officially withdraw from the University after Census Date receive grades of “W” in all classes.

Students who withdraw from all classes are subject to the University’s academic probation and dismissal regulations. Students withdrawing should refer to the regulations on refunds of tuition and fees, readmission policies, and requirements for maintaining registration.

Withdrawals for international graduate students also require the consent of the Office of International Programs.

Academic appointments (Teaching Assistant and Graduate Assistant positions) may not extend beyond the effective date of a student’s withdrawal.

Withdrawal for Military Service

A student who withdraws as a result of being called to active military service may choose

  1. to receive a refund of tuition and fees for the semester;
  2. if eligible, to be assigned an incomplete (IN) in each course (refer to section Explanation of Credit, Grading System, and Symbols in this chapter); or
  3. at the instructor’s discretion, to receive a final grade in courses where he or she has completed a substantial amount of coursework and has demonstrated sufficient mastery of the course material.

Students who withdrew from the University to perform military service (not including Texas National Guard Training exercises) will not have to requalify for admission and will be reactivated upon a request made within one year of being released from active military service. A returning student may be eligible for the same financial assistance provided before the student’s withdrawal.

Medical and/or Mental Health Withdrawal from the University

Students experiencing a significant medical or mental health challenge, compromising the student’s ability to effectively participate in their educational program, may request a withdrawal from classes or, in rare circumstances, reduce their course loads at the University without unnecessary academic penalty. A Medical or Mental Health (M/MH) Withdrawal from the University should be considered only when all other options are exhausted by the student. Alternative options to a M/MH Withdrawal may include requesting a grade of Incomplete for courses enrolled or withdrawing using the regular withdrawal process if still within the withdrawal timeframe for the semester. Students also have the option to drop an individual course(s) during a specified timeframe. Instructor-initiated drops may also occur until the last day that a student may drop themselves. M/MH withdrawals can be granted only for the current semester or the semester immediately preceding the current semester (not including the summer semester); no other “retroactive” withdrawals are allowed.

Students should refer to the Academic Calendar (https://asap.utsa.edu/terms.htm) for the established withdrawal, drop and refund deadline dates. A M/MH withdrawal may impact progression toward degree completion and result in financial consequences and obligations. Students are advised to consult with appropriate University personnel to determine what areas of their enrollment may be impacted. These areas include but are not limited to: funding received through financial aid, scholarships, veteran affairs or other funding sources, immigration status, employment with the university, restrictions on repeating courses including gateway courses and legislation such as Satisfactory Academic Progress for students receiving financial aid, the Six-Drop Policy, Three-Attempt Rule and Undergraduate Credit Limitation.

Students affected by legislation for dropping courses or withdrawing from the University due to health issues may seek academic relief through appropriate appeal options. A student granted M/MH Withdrawal or course load reduction will be assigned grades of “W” in the affected courses. If the effective date of the withdrawal or course load reduction is on or BEFORE the Census Date (12th class day), no record of the courses will appear on the student’s transcript. If the effective date of withdrawal or course load reduction is AFTER the Census Date, a grade of “W” will appear on the transcript for all dropped/withdrawn courses. A M/MH Withdrawal does not guarantee the removal of a grade of “W” nor does it indicate a monetary refund.

Students will be limited to one M/MH Withdrawal during their academic career at UTSA, unless given special permission by the Dean of University College (if an undergraduate student) or the Dean of Graduate School (if a graduate student). Challenges identified by the student as a result of their medical or mental health condition will be evaluated by the appropriate service director (Associate Vice President for Student Services for a medical issue or the Director of Counseling Services for a mental health issue or their respective designees). These Service Directors and/or their designees will meet with the M/MH Committee to review the request. Based on this review, the Service Director will render a recommendation to the appropriate Dean regarding the approval/disapproval of the M/MH request including the date of onset of the medical or mental health condition.

The effective date of the withdrawal will be determined by the Dean of University College or the Dean of the Graduate School. The Financial Services and University Bursar office will process a student account credit, if appropriate, based on the refund percentage allowed for that effective withdrawal or drop date. To review the refund policy mandated by the Texas Education Code (See 54.006), please see the UTSA refund policy in the UTSA Information Bulletin or in the latest academic calendar.

Medical/Mental Health Withdrawal Request Procedures

Requests for M/MH Withdrawals must be submitted in writing to the appropriate service office (Student Health Services for medical requests; Student Counseling Services for mental health requests). Such requests must be accompanied by supporting documentation from a licensed physician, medical provider, or mental health professional. Hospitalization records from a recent admission, if relevant, should also accompany any application. Students must complete the Release of Medical/Mental Health Records Authorization form. This signed form allows for the review of records by the Service Director and/or their designee and by members of the M/MH Withdrawal Committee. All documents and any other requirements made by the Service Director (or their designee) must be provided or completed within one month of the initial request. Students should contact Student Health Services or Counseling Services for a list of the required documents. If the application is not completed within one month, the file will be closed and no further action will be taken unless a new application is initiated before the end of the eligibility period.

The appropriate Service Director or their respective designee will review the request and the supporting documentation to determine whether the medical or mental health issue adversely affected the student’s ability to function academically, and was substantial enough to warrant the student’s withdrawal under this policy. Upon that review, the appropriate Service Director or their respective designee will meet with the M/MH Committee to review the recommendation and the proposed date of withdrawal. The Service Director will then provide a written recommendation to the Dean of University College (for undergraduate students) or the Dean of the Graduate School (for graduate students) communicating their assessment. The appropriate Dean will have one month to process their decision and make the final determination regarding the status of each application. The student will be notified of the final determination in writing in a manner consistent with the policies and procedures established by the Dean’s offices.

An appeal of the Dean’s determination may be considered if additional documentation can be presented that may support a possible change in the withdrawal decision. The appeal, along with this documentation, should be submitted in writing to the Associate Vice President for Student Services for medical withdrawals or to the Counseling Services Director for mental health withdrawals. All appeal recommendations will go back to the respective Dean for review. The Dean’s decision based on the appeal recommendation shall be final.

Confidentiality of Medical/Mental Health Withdrawal Requests

The records and documentation submitted for the medical/mental health withdrawal will be maintained by Student Health Services or Counseling Services, respectively. The documentation will remain confidential in accordance with the respective ethics and policies. The Dean’s decision, however, will become part of the student’s educational record.

Return to UTSA

Students who apply for Medical/Mental Health Withdrawal are strongly recommended to consult with their medical and/or mental health provider before making the decision to return to UTSA, or to other higher education environments. Returning students, who might continue to be impacted by their medical and/or mental health condition, should consider consulting with Student Disability Services (SDS) http://www.utsa.edu/disability/, to determine if their condition qualifies them for registration with SDS and for academic accommodations.