Academic Grade and Grievance Procedure

In resolving any student grievance regarding grades, evaluations or other academically-related concern or incident regarding a faculty member, the student must first make a serious effort to resolve the matter with the faculty member with whom the grievance originated. It is University policy that individual faculty members retain primary responsibility for assigning grades and evaluations. The faculty member’s judgment regarding grades and evaluations is final unless compelling evidence shows discrimination, differential treatment, factual mistake, or violation of a relevant University policy. In resolving a student grievance regarding other academically-related issues involving a faculty member, the student must follow the same process as used when grieving a grade or evaluation. If the matter is not resolved, the student may file a formal grievance, in writing, with the Department Chair (Academic and Grade Grievance Form). The student must file the grievance with the Department Chair within 90 calendar days from the end of the semester in which the grade was assigned or the other concern or incident occurred.

The Department Chair will communicate his or her decision to the student and forward a copy to the Dean of the College. The student may appeal the decision to the Dean of the College and then, if an undergraduate student, to the Dean of Undergraduate Studies, and if a graduate student, to the Dean of the Graduate School. Appeals to the next higher level must be submitted on the Student Academic and Grade Grievance Form and submitted within thirty (30) calendar days of the decision of the previous administrative level. The decisions of the Deans of Undergraduate Studies and the Graduate School are final. The administrator handling the appeal at each level will notify individuals involved, including those who have already ruled on the appeal, once a decision has been rendered.

Under no circumstances will grades be changed after one calendar year.